File a Consumer Complaint

The Complaint Process

The Consumer Protection Unit of the Attorney Generalís Office enforces Alaskaís consumer protection laws, which are aimed at preventing unfair or deceptive trade practices. Most people, at some point in their lives, will encounter an unscrupulous salesperson, purchase a defective or unsafe product, or will simply feel like they have been taken advantage of.

One means we use to learn about such practices is through consumer complaints filed with our office. If you believe you've been the victim of an unfair or deceptive act or practice, or if you want to report an act or practice that you think is unfair or deceptive, we encourage you to file a consumer complaint. When possible, it is preferable that you try to resolve a dispute before you file a complaint with us. For more information see "How to Handle Your Own Complaint."

In most cases, we attempt to resolve consumer complaints through informal mediation. We also review complaints looking for patterns of unfair or deceptive conduct that may require formal investigation or enforcement actions. We do not act as private attorneys or provide legal representation or advice to consumers. If you want to file a consumer complaint, you can download either the standard consumer complaint form (PDF 681KB) or a motor vehicle complaint form (PDF 870KB)

Instructions and important information

  • The forms are self-explanatory, but make sure to follow the directions. Provide as much detail as possible on the form, and attach additional pages if necessary to explain the transaction.
  • Attach copies of documents related to the transaction described in the complaint, including any contracts, invoices or receipts. Please do not send originals.
  • Once you have all this together, mail it to us at the address at the top of the form. You can also drop it off at our offices in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau.
  • You will receive a confirmation that we received your complaint.
  • We will review your complaint, and in most cases, forward it to the business you are complaining about for a response.
  • If your complaint falls within the jurisdiction of another agency, we will forward your complaint to that agency, and let you know we have done so.
  • You may not receive any further communication from us until your complaint is closed. It may also take several weeks or months for us to review your complaint, depending on the nature of your complaint and our workload.
  • Although we try to assist all consumers, the fact that we may not be able to directly assist you does not reflect on the validity of your complaint. Your complaint information will remain in our database, and will help us monitor questionable business practices and to determine priorities in our enforcement efforts and legislative recommendations.

You can call our office if you have any questions at 907-269-5200, or toll free outside Anchorage at 1-888-576-2529.

Some documents on this page require Adobe Reader (available as a free download) to view.