Restitution Collection

If the judge orders restitution in your case, the collections unit in the Civil Division of the Department of Law may be able to help you receive restitution payments from the criminal defendant. The collections unit can provide collection services to you if the restitution judgment (1) was signed by a judge on or after January 1, 2002, and (2) was issued in a state criminal case or juvenile delinquency proceeding. The collections unit cannot collect restitution judgments in civil cases or municipal cases.

If the restitution judgment does not fit within the judgments that we can help you collect, you may collect the judgment on your own. You should consider speaking with a private attorney about the collection process. In addition, the court system has a booklet and forms for creditors to use to collect judgments on their own.

Restitution judgments that meet the requirements mentioned above are sent to the collections unit automatically. You do not need to request our services or send us anything in order for us to collect for you. Once we receive the judgment, we will contact you to explain our services. However, you are not required to have us collect the restitution for you. If you prefer, you may collect the restitution judgment without our assistance. You must inform us if you prefer to collect the restitution judgment yourself. If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you want us to collect the judgment for you.

Our collection services include sending demand letters, processing voluntary payments, and seizing the defendant's permanent fund dividends if the defendant is eligible for the dividend and the dividend is not claimed by a creditor with higher priority. Depending on the amount of the judgment and the potential collection costs, collection services may also include seizing money from the defendant's bank accounts, garnishing the defendant's wages, and recording judgment liens. We cannot guarantee when, or if, our collection efforts will be successful. The collections unit will decide what collection efforts will be made. That decision may depend on the unit's available resources. Also, although you may be entitled to interest on the restitution judgment, the collections unit will not collect interest on the judgment.

If you have any questions about this program, you may call the collections unit at (907) 269-5205 or toll free within Alaska at (800) 580-5205, e-mail the collections unit at or send mail to Collections Unit, Alaska Department of Law, 1031 West 4th Avenue, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99501.