Landlord and Tenant Information

Although the Department of Law is responsible for publishing the booklet on landlord-tenant law, we cannot give legal advice regarding the law or represent private parties in a legal dispute.

If you need help with a landlord-tenant matter, you may want to first review your rights under the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, the Alaska law that addresses landlord-tenant issues.

You can find a summary of this law and sample notice forms in the publication The Alaska Landlord & Tenant Act: what it means to you. (PDF926K). You can also download and print a copy of the publication. If you are not able to download and print a copy, call (907) 269-5200 or toll free (888) 576-2529. You can also email your request to (Please be sure to include your full name address).

If you would like to pursue legal claims, you will need to hire or consult with a private attorney or bring a case yourself in small claims court. Here are some resources for tenants:

  • Low-income tenants can call Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC) for help. If your landlord is trying to evict you, be sure you mention the eviction when you call Alaska Legal Services. Visit ALSC’s website to find the telephone number for your local ALSC office.
  • If you need a lawyer but do not qualify for assistance through Alaska Legal Services, call the Alaska Bar Association’s statewide lawyer referral service in Anchorage at (907) 272-0352 or toll free (800) 770-9999. The lawyer referral service may be able to refer you to a lawyer in your area.

To file a claim for damages of $10,000 or less without a lawyer, you can file in Small Claims Court. The Alaska Court System publication, Alaska Small Claims Handbook, explains how to file a small claims action in court. You can also find information about small claims actions on the Court System’s website or at your local courthouse.

Some documents on this page require Adobe Reader (available as a free download) to view.